Just listen to Elizabeth Bathurst (1655?-1685):
- The Apostle spake Wisdom among them that were perfect.
- This now is the Word of Faith, which is again preach’d by those whom the World in Scorn call Quakers: And though such Preaching be accounted foolish by the learned Rabbies of our Age; yet let them know, ’tis by the Foolishness of Preaching that God is pleased to save them that believe.
- That all who may be rightly denominated Quakers, such as tremble at the Word of God, they are of the Faith of One Substance, which the ancient Christians so earnestly contended for, and suffered such hard Things in maintaining, to wit, that Christ the blessed Son of God (as to his Divinity) was of the same Eternal Substance with the Father …
- Therefore those that deny Perfection to be attained by the Lord’s People, do in Effect deny Christ the one Offering.
- Thus I have again touch’d upon the former Particulars, wherein I undertook to vindicate Truth and its Followers; in all which Christ, the Light and Life of Man, is all in all unto his People.
- Which Doctrine, though it be firmly founded in Scripture, yet it is rejected and set at nought, because ’tis believed by the Quakers, notwithstanding which, they freely confess, that a perfect Principle they plead for, and press the Necessity and Benefit of Man’s believing and Conformity to it.